Friday, February 10, 2012

Ender's Shadow

Hola, I know I'm really behind. Okay, Ender's Shadow, by Orson Scott Card, is a companion book to Ender's Game. Living on the street is dangerous for a kid any age with the brutal hierarchy of bullies and kids too small to get food. But when Bean turns up, the whole system changes. This transformation doesn't go unnoticed, however. Battle School is still recruiting and Bean is a promising candidate. With the severe physical disadvantages Bean has, he faces difficulties that even his machine-like mind might not be able to comprehend. I just re-read my Ender's Game review and I seem to have put a negative spin on it. Let me correct you, these books are brilliant. What I failed to express before was the depth that every character has, and the plot that doesn't fail to stun even when reading a parallel story where you already know what happens. The only thing I will say though, is that these books made me like Ender more. Bean is so mechanical that even Ender's aloofness is appealing. I don't want to change my original post but I have to say, looking back on the book, four and a half stars to both Ender's Game and Ender's Shadow.

No comments:

Post a Comment